13 April 2017

Social Media Before, During & After War

I have been on Facebook since its  original appearance-  a collection of profiles you could visit to know a person's favourite colour and other personal information. I think I prefer it that way, it was unique and served its purpose as a social media website. It wasn't open to the public during the war and I think we were lucky that it wasn't. Why? Because people on Facebook don't always bother to check the accuracy and reliability of the critical information they are so recklessly sharing. An example would be the false news shared during the Mosul war. Some despicable creatures use this flaw to share false and incorrect news to make people hate a particular group, religion or nationality. This action causes what I call a digital civil war- where people attack each other through comments.
 
I am not targeting Facebook, this digital civil war is happening on other social media apps as well, like Instagram and Twitter but since Facebook is the most used app for various age groups, it causes the biggest damage. I have said it in Baghdad Girl and I will say it again here, the media is supposed to be an HONEST tool of delivering news to the people, right or wrong, good or bad, it should be delivered as it is. I got so much criticism when I defended Saddam Hussein for being wronged in the time of his execution in 2006 but I didn't care. I said what needed to be said since no one else bothered to do so. I later found out that many people felt the same way, hence Riverbend's post "A Lynching" in December 31, 2006. Back to the original subject, Facebook in the middle east or at least My Facebook, is so confusing. You see posts of people dying in Mosul, then you see posts of people having lunch in a fancy restaurant. Instagram is no different, you see people posting giveaways and others crying over their childhood house which has been destroyed with a bomb during the recent ISIS war in Mosul.
 
It's like you have to divide your day into two parts, one is for living and being as happy as you can be and the other is for mourning the deaths of loved ones and supporting relatives and friends who are still stuck in this ugly war.

You can't let go, but you have to somehow join the flow..